American InterContinental University (AIU) is an international for-profit university with open admissions owned by Career Education Corporation.
AIU is regionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association to award Associate, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees.
AIU currently has four campuses in the United States.
– Atlanta, Georgia (located at 6600 Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd. in Sandy Springs)
Following the June 2009 consolidation of the AIU Buckhead and AIU Dunwoody campuses into AIU Atlanta, the new campus underwent a significant renovation. AIU Atlanta’s campus now features an industry-current forensics lab; a virtual firearms training simulator (FATS) lab; drawing studio; dedicated math, science and writing labs; and newly redesigned studios for fashion design, media production, visual communications and interior design.
– Houston, Texas (located at 9999 Richmond Ave., in the Westchase district)
The AIU Houston building was severely damaged by Hurricane Ike in September 2008. It was remodeled, and a grand re-opening celebration occurred in February 2009.
– Weston, Florida (located at 2250 N. Commerce Pkwy.)
The online program began in 2001 but was recognized as a separate campus in 2002. George P. Miller currently serves as president of AIU Online, which is now considered the main campus for AIU. The online campus offices are located in Schaumburg, Illinois, a northwest suburb of Chicago.
- London, England (located at 110 Marylebone High St.). AIU London became part of Regent’s University London in April 2013.
- Los Angeles, California (formerly located at 12655 W. Jefferson Blvd.)
- Dubai, United Arab Emerates (known as American University in Dubai since 2007)
On February 18, 2008, American InterContinental University announced plans to gradually close down its Los Angeles campus. Dr. George Miller, president of American InterContinental University, cited low student enrollment at the Los Angeles campus as the reason for this decision.